Melbourne’s Holiday Inn cluster grew to 11 amid some states impose border restrictions
Another staff member at the Holiday Inn in Tullamarine is the latest infection linked to the growing hotel cluster. The cluster linked to Melbourne’s Holiday Inn quarantine hotel grew to 11 cases on Thursday afternoon, with three new cases recorded among close contacts of hotel workers.
The Melbourne hotel outbreak has been linked to a man who used a nebuliser for asthma in his room. The man is now fighting for life with COVID-19 in hospital.
Health authorities believe all are infected with the more transmissible British variant, which is placing new strains on the state’s hotel quarantine system.
The list of coronavirus exposure sites in Melbourne continues to grow in the wake of more positive cases.
Sunbury Square Shopping Centre was added to the list late on Wednesday after it was visited by someone who was infected with COVID-19 on Friday between 3.40pm and 4.30pm.
Commonwealth Bank and HSBC in Glen Waverley were added to the “Tier 1” hot spot list earlier in the evening, meaning anyone who attended at the days and times listed must isolate for 14 days regardless of their test result.
Health officials said a positive case visited the Commonwealth Bank between 1.30pm and 2.45pm on Tuesday and was at the neighbouring HSBC branch between about 2.15pm and 3.30pm the same day.
Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles, the acting Health Minister, said the provision would allow the state to be “a little bit less reliant on getting information, particularly from airlines”.
WA has also extended its current border restrictions for another seven days. Anyone entering WA from Victoria will need to be tested and enter 14 days quarantine.
In NSW Health authorities are continuing to screen passengers arriving on flights from Victoria and any person who enters NSW from Victoria by air or rail must complete a passenger declaration form.
Anyone who has been in Victoria since January 27 has been urged to check whether they have been to any exposure sites.
“The list of venues has been updated today and further updates may follow, so please keep a careful watch on the website,” NSW Health said in a statement.
“If you have been to any of these locations at the times listed, you are at risk of COVID‑19, so please follow the health advice provided.”Arrivals are being screened at Sydney Airport.
The department said in many cases people will be required to isolate for 14 days.
Since February 4 anyone arriving to NSW by air has been made to fill out a passenger declaration form, detailing whether they have been to venues of concern.